International calling card problems

About two weeks ago, my wife bought a great calling card online for her to talk with her family in Tehran. We've had a lot of trouble finding low rate cards lately because most have been raising their rates above 10-12 cents per minute. This one card my wife found promised 1.3 cents per minute. Even if the rate was four times that, it was a very nice card for us.

From the first they started charging more than they said. I called and asked for a listing of the charges to the card and the operator politely told me each call and charge. Then I did a little math, factored in the taxes and found that the company took about three dollars from our $20.00 card. I called and said that this was the case and they corrected the error. My wife and I were very happy.

Later that week, they were taking more money. This time, my wife had been logging each of her calls. I called their customer support again to get the run-down of the charges to do the math and get the real charges. This time, the customer support operator said that she was not allowed to give that information and I was supposed to log into the website to get it. I went to the website and the only accounts available are for distributors. I figured that I wouldn't win that battle.

The next time we lost actual money on the card after not using it for a few days, and it wasn't the weekly maintanence cycle. I called up and asked them to correct that. They did, and immediately after that my wife called her mother in Iran for a two minute call, and afterward 20 minutes were taken from the card.

I called customer support again to talk with a manager but the operators would not even let me wait for a manager in a phone queue.

Right now, I have put in a call with the corporate offices to see about resolving the case. Then I move go to the attorney general's office of that state.

Some cards may be wonderful, but be careful of greedy companies and their customer support departments.

No comments: